RFB Teen Squad originated in February 2018 as a live radio show – Teens Take the Mic – hosted by a Brooklyn high school student featuring music from, and interviews with, teenage musicians based in NYC.
In 2019, Radio Free Brooklyn will expand this idea into RFB Teen Squad – a program offering ongoing free after-school workshops for local teens between the ages 13-18, training them in the basics of audio production, podcasting, news gathering and reporting, and live radio broadcasting. The program is funded in part by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund.
RFB Teen Squad will provide a dedicated space for the active learning of media production skills, which will be provided along with coordinated presentations and workshops in media literacy and critical thinking. Students will come to the “learning studio” 2-3 times per week between 4-7 pm to participate in workshops on topics including, but not limited to:
- Audio production
- Live radio broadcasting
- Reporting and news gathering
- Interviewing techniques
- Critical reading of media texts
- Journalistic best practices
- Media ethics and responsibility
The culmination of the program will be the creation of participants’ own radio shows will would be broadcast live, using a dedicated stream, on a channel accessed via radiofreebrooklyn.org, iTunes, TuneIn.com and the RFB mobile apps.
The goal of the RFB Teen Squad program is to nurture a critical understanding of media production, ethics, and responsibility by allowing local teenagers to create their own radio programming.
Your donation will help ensure we are able to maximize the impact of our operations by measuring the following Key Performance Indicators. By the initial launch of the program (estimated to be January, 2019):
- studio space has been procured and optimized for both learning and production, including any necessary soundproofing installed, and recording and broadcast equipment and systems are purchased, installed and performing well;
- logistical systems such as methods of marketing, recruiting, bookkeeping, participant agreements and schedules of instructors are in place;
- Executive Director and other key staff are able to focus on developing, managing and maintaining programs as well as operational support.
We are a 501(c)3 charitable organization, EIN: 82-0631349. All contributions are tax deductible. No goods or services will be provided in exchange for the contribution.
If you or someone you know would like to apply to the RFB Teen Squad Program, please use our application page.
Find out more
Help us achieve our goal
We also graciously accept in-kind donations for new or used audio equipment, software, studio furniture and more. If you have something you’d like to donate, please let us know. We also have an Amazon Wish List for the program’s critical needs.
Grantors and Sponsors
RFB Teen Squad is sponsored in part by grants and donations from: