Thanks for your interest in supporting Radio Free Brooklyn!
As a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, we are prohibited from accepting traditional commercial advertising on our site. However, we happily work with underwriters who, for a small monthly donation, are proudly announced as underwriters (i.e. supporters of our mission) on the network.
What’s the difference?
- UNDERWRITERS must conform to laws regarding its content.Underwriting spots cannot:
- Make qualitative or quantifying statements (“We’re the best in the business!” “Our prices can’t be beat!” etc.)
- Make specific offers (“50% off this weekend!” “Check out our July 4th blowout sale!” etc)
- Give a call to action (“Come in today,“ “Contact us at 555-1212,” etc.)
- ADVERTISERS can be perceived by the listener as annoying – an intrusion on their listening.
- UNDERWRITERS, on the other hand, are often held in higher regard by the non-commercial radio listener
- UNDERWRITERS are seen as more trustworthy and credible by listeners, sharing their values;
- UNDERWRITERS are thought of more as supporters than just a business trying to make a sale.
Guidelines for underwriter announcements
- Our 15 second underwriting announcements must contain the name of your business.
- Announcements may contain a description of the product or service you provide, without a specific endorsement or call-to-action
- Announcements may contain a URL where the listener can find more information about your product or service
Example: “Radio Free Brooklyn is proudly supported by XYZ Yoga, providing holistic health services to the people of Brooklyn since 2005. For more information, go to www.xyzyoga.com.”
Donations and announcement frequency*
*NOTE: All underwriter announcements occur between the hours of 7am and 11pm, 7 days per week.